Monday 1 November 2010

San Gil

So after a VERY cold bus ride we made it to San Gil alive and relieved to find that the weather wasnt minus degrees.
The girls we met in Bogota reserved us a room in the same hostel which was a relief at 1am!

As this is the "Sporting Capital" of Colombia there are loads of activities to do so we have decided that when Al arrives (Flos sister) tomorrow we are going to go rafting and decided to take it easy today - or so we thought! The English Girls we met (Ro, Gemma and Chrissie), 2 Canadians, Flo and I made our way to a natural pool not far from the Hostel. It was amazing and everyone made their way into the pool whilst Ro and I watched the bags (cautious!). Then when the guys came out Ro and I decided we would jump in... after a while of travelling you become rather slow at things and before I knew it Ro (only been away 3 days and a lot more rapid) had her clothes off and had jumped into the pool - SHIT! We hadnt realised how shallow it was and she hit her knee REALLY badly on a rock. Blood spurting everywhere we made a hasty exit to the Hospital. Wow time for my Spanish to shine or what? Suddenly I was in the emergency room trying to explain what had happened whilst the doctor wiped clean this huge gash on Ros kneecap (AH MY GAWD, anyone who knows me well enough knows that me and kneecaps do not go together!). But I stayed strong holding her hand through the two injecions right in the middle of the gash (you could see bone!). Once the 5 stitches started happening I thought if ever I was going to faint (to date I never have) the time would be now, and had to get myself out into the fresh air. How pathetic am I? Embarrasing. Anyway I managed to learn "puntos" which means stitches and how to take care of a wound that has been stitched up! So as they say, you learn something new everyday!

Now back at the Hostel recovering from a rather hectic day in preparation for our 2.5hr rafting manana - aaaah! Lets hope there are no more hospital stories! xxx

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, keep it coming. I hope that Ro's knee is recovering rapidly. Love, Grandpa

    ReplyDelete