Tuesday 19 October 2010

Mas de Cuba!

Well after a rather eventful start and a lot of travelling lessons learnt after eventually finding the internet we did some more cultural stuff... we walked around habana vieja and saw lots of crumbly buildings and la plaza vieja and la plaza de catedral. I feel a bit guilty that maybe we havent done as much cultural stuff as we should be but I feel we are living the cuban lifestyle! Mojitos, Musica y Cigars!

Its really annoying this internet is SO slow I cant remember where I got to so sorry if I repeat myself.

Another night in habana vieja and we eventually managed to find a bar with music and salsa as we hadnt seen any salsa yet. Here we met a salsa teacher who TRIED to teach both flo and I un poco de salsa it was rather hilarious as as much as I like to dance apparently I cant do it when people tell me what to do! Afterwards Ray the teacher took us to a club... yes we were the only foreigners but it was a hoot. I am starting to feel rather guilty about telling the truth about my time here I cannot emphasise enough how careful we are being but mum keep taking that valium because im not holding back! We had a great time there and we left when we felt it was time to go [sensible]. The next day we went to Santa Maria beach with Ray and we met a sweedish guy on the way. He was the nerdest person we have met so far but it was highly entertaining and good to have another person to talk to. We are just trying to talk to as many people as we can he was on his own so we felt we should look after him, and later a friend of Ray joined us. As Rob said to me safety in numbers.

That night we went back to our casa particular and met two german girls and two americans a man and his son who have been travelling cuba together. The dad was really interesting and was explaining a bit out Che as he is everywhere here but I know nada about him. Then Jacob his son who is 25 and works for the peace corps joined us and ray for some salsa in the same bar. He told us that his was gay but hadn´t told his dad yet which was all rather exciting for us, a bit of gossip! He was really interesting and as much as I am enjoying pracitsing my spanish it was nice to communicate with someone in english for a bit.

Anyway early the next morning flo and I and the two german girls we met made our way on the bus to vinales where we are now. We are staying with a guy called Joan who my friend Amy stayed with when she came to Cuba which is all rather exciting. Vinales is a valley and it turns out he is a guide of the valley. So yesterday afternoon we took his tour which was AMAZING the valley is huge with all kinds of different plants and a cave and we met a farmer who gave us some of his home grown wine and hand made cigars. I tell you what you cant get away from the alcohol and smoking!!!

Today we are going to go horseriding in the valley which is very exciting and then making our way back to havana tomorrow as our flight is on friday morning.

Al if you are reading this, I cant wait to see you and your beautiful face get in touch about the lost city trek we want you to come do it with us!

Well guys, thanks for reading, I am sorry its a bit of a blow by blow account of what we are doing but as I say the internet here is rare and expensive and I dont have enough time but hopefully when we are in other places it will be a lot easier.

Jacqui please send my love to Georgia its all sooooooo exciting! And keep me updated on her progress.

Got to dash.... love to all and please continue to post comments I love reading them more than writing the blog! Love love love xxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. My dear Becky,

    I wrote to you a week ago, responding to your blog and my letter, which had taken an hour to write, was lost! .

    Yesterday I saw a super funny film: Tamara Drake. It’s based on a cartoon serial by Posy Simmons that runs/ran in the Guardian about middle-aged, middle-class writers on a writers’ retreat set in an idyllically beautiful village. The wife in the couple who own the retreat is an efficient manager who charms the guests and encourages and pampers her husband, a successful writer. He, however, is a serial adulterer with younger pretty girls, constantly trying to cover his tracks. I don’t know if it would be your cup of tea but I had the best laugh in a very long time! Tamsin Gregg played the wife – she’s v good and was in a TV show called, I think Green Wing.

    I’ve just read your blog up to Tues 19 October – it’s a roller-coaster ride – and a real contrast to life in Greenwich! But it did rather remind me of my days hitching round
    France and Germany although despite its risks, what you are both doing is more – lets say - challenging! Fingers crossed I hope the situation following the theft has sorted itself. Your mum will now show me how to send this!

    Lots of love from

    Granny X

    ReplyDelete