Monday 4 October 2010

Phoenix

So I made it to Phoenix... after missing my connecting flight - not the best start!
But finally made it back to Rob's appartment where his cousin Andy and friend Rory were staying - they have been road tripping around America.

On Saturday I spent most of the day asleep (successfully avoiding the Ryder Cup!) only to be woken up to a monsoon - which was amazing. I have never seen a drop of rain here and this was possibly the biggest storm I have ever seen  - the lightening was unreal! And it was actually COLD afterwards within five mins it had dropped from 93 degrees to 83!

Once the storm had cleared the four of us set off to City Hall -where you get " THE BEST STEAKS EVER" (aldridge, 2010) for Rory and Andy's last night... only to discover that we couldn't get served as we didn't have our passports!?! AH MY GAWD... luckily the manager offered a free ride home to get them ( I hopped in the free ride quicker than you could say flamin' cosmo*). An hour later... and what would have been a $100 ride we were ready to get the night started!
 I think I can safely say that dinner was enjoyed all round - despite Andy finding a large chunk of glass in the bottom of his drink (which he only discovered wasn't ice until he had finished it and noticed it hadn't melted!) 

Afterwards we headed out to see what Scottsdale could offer us... and ended up in a bar called The Lodge. Here we were invited to join in a game of garden sized Jenga. It turned out we were quite popular at this bar and not because of our banter - because of our accents!! Once the bar closed we went back to one couples appartment where I managed to find myself in some deep Islam  and Pink Flyod discussion with a guy called Nick - whilst everyone else played drinking games (doh!) The only thing I can take from that night is that I don't know who Pink Flyod are, I clearly know nothing about Islam and we should have ordered a taxi earlier than 5!

A great night all the same... Andy and Rory are now in Flagstaff and Rob in class so I am off to the pool...
I'll be in touch soon xxx

* They put dry ice in their cosmo's so they bubble an steam whilst you drink them - Heston Blumenthal's wet dream!

6 comments:

  1. BECKYYYYYYYY! Well now, i was going to "SUPRPRAAAAAISE" you at heathrow and come and say goodbye, but alas my death bed kept me from you (it has been worse than man flu for god's sake!) Glad to hear you are there ok... eventually - I shall be questioning you in depth in Vegas Baby re your missing connection... blonde moment or genuine mistake? :-)

    Anyway, loving your work on random "intellectual" drunken convo and hitching free rides... Shame Andy didn't realise sooner about the glass, remember when that dude spilt the water all over me and the manager was on me in a second with a card to pay for dry cleaning?! you lot could've had free drinks!
    Anyway enough about me, i suppose i have to let you have the limelight seeing as it is your blog... just this once...

    Can't wait to see you and that gorgeous brother of mine! woohooo! see you at the weekend. I watched The Hangover again the other day in preparation, I've been researching where to find a tiger and how to pull ones own teeth out... toodles! Big love xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I'm really jealous about City Hall - except the extra piece of glass of course but Jen's right you could have milked that one!

    Hopefully I'll get there with Rob when I'm over.

    Hope you have fun in Vegas baby -remember - it stays in Vegas!!!

    Its a bit nasty reading the end of Jen's comment as I've just got back from the dentist having had a tooth pulled!

    Hoping to speak to you later lots of love Jacqui xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE! following you all the way bebe...
    muchos love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darling. Just testing this posts. Besos, tu mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. Success! lfmx
    ps the orange works and I love being in the library - strange place to find you though!

    ReplyDelete