Tuesday 18 January 2011

Chapter 2: Flying Solo

Sorry that my last blog wasn´t in the least bit entertaning and more a school diary type of entry as Daisy so kindly put it (tongue out). It is hard to keep writing and make it interesting, but I hope I havent bored everyone to death. I don´t want people to feel obliged to read...

Anyway... so as I said hard to say goodbye but now on my own and ready for a new experience. Submarino hostel looked after me very well on my first few days alone. The Paraguians took me to the beach one day which was nice and then this really cool Sweedish girl came and I spent the day with her on the beach the day after.

Wowza... brazil really have their own bikini style. I have never seen so many bottoms of all shapes, sizes and ages hanging out on the beach. People were looking at me strangely as my bum wasn´t out?! I saw womens bottoms within the age range of 2-102. Wobbly, skinny, wrinkly, smooth - some as big as your head. They really have no shame. As for swimming costumes they are exactly the same! Bizzare... a little part of me wants to join in, how cool to have a brown bum? Not sure how my bum would feel about that, having never been seen the sun in it´s 22 years of existence.

So I spent the last few nights in Floripa in the hostel, there was always someone to talk to and most people did their pre-drinking till 1am or so in the hostel which was good fun. They had a table tennis table (is that what you would call it?) so I got pretty good at that - once the champ (flo) had left. The brazillians did a BBQ everynight and there was always plenty to feed me to. I really started to feel at home there, but not speaking any Portuguese was really starting to grate on me. Plus the weather was really unpredictable and it was pretty stormy so I decided it was time to go back... not always a good idea when you are travelling - going back that is, but I thought it best to go somewhere I could communicate and if I was in trouble I would know people nearby. So BA it was. Yes, kind of obsessed with the place. So booked my ticket (small fortune) and made my way out of Floripa on 16th.

(Sidenote, anyone aware of the awful flooding near Rio? 560 or so people have died. Terrible)

So 7am on the 16th I make my way to the airport... little did I know that this would turn out to be one of the worst days of my life...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Becky. Sounds really interesting. Sadly I can't say I've been following your blog all the time, but after reading this perhaps I will! I hope you are well and everything going out there. Chillenden just fine and moving along nicely. I lola hoping to take her driving test soon. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you and your blog. Cliffhanger or what?! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. im assuming you also had to deal with male bums hanging out of all ages - particularly of the older wrinkly variety, they can't get enough of arse-hanging out over there innit?

    Im afraid I shall not be reading your next entry! glad you are safe xx love xxxx (reply your mail later or tomor xx)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey
    I agree that what you said about your buddy was really lovely - and I'm sure she feels the same about you xx
    I can only say that I would be panicking from that last comment on this blog if I didnt know you were safe!
    I'm just going to reply to your latest e mail - keep going and take care xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky, great to be catching up with your exploits again. Your Mum says that you need my e-mail address, it is johnxbird@aol.com I am interested in knowing which of your experiences so far you think will remain longest in your memory? Also when do you think that you might return to Chillenden?
    Love from Grandpa and Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky! I'm not sure you remember me, but I have been trying to find you on facebook with little success. I am Vicky Kiss from Hungary, I was your au-pair when you were 5. I am not even sure you're the right Becky, but since people are commenting on expecting you back to Chillenden, it must be you :-)
    If you're the one, could you give me an email address to you or your parents, pls? I am planning a trip to UK late Sept 2013 and would like to pay a visit. Counting the years I am not sure I will be able to meet you as you seem to be all over the world (although seeing you was my deepest intention,only if you remember me, of course, otherwise there is no reason). My daughter is almost 5 now, just your age when I was taking care of you and your house in Chillenden. She's nagging me to go and have lunch at the moment, so I am just hoping to get an answer for you. Oh, and no worries if you don't remember me, you can tell me no probs. :-) With much love
    Viki

    ReplyDelete