Wednesday 5 January 2011

Punta Del Este

So we arrive in Punta... supposedly the Uruguian equivilant to St Tropez. Never having been to St Trop myself I suppose I can´t really judge, I just hope that for those that do go - its a little more happening than Punta!

Drop our bags and head straight to the beach. It seems like forever since we were last on a beach and it was great to apprectiate the sun as you really can´t do that in a city. We had a lovely relaxing afternoon but by dinner time all was not well. Flo had tonsilitis and A and I were feeling a little under the weather. Not the best situation. Luckily farmacies here will hand out anything over the counter and we managed to get some antibiotics for Flo and had an early night all round.

Next day Al and I head to the beach whilst poor Flo stays in bed trying to get better. Not quite the mini break we had intended... However the people watching was hysterical. The worst sight known to man was found on the beach that day, and we named her Fatty Red Skin. This woman was the size of a medium sized house wearing a size too small purple bikini (disgusting enough). As she walked to the sea I thought she was wearing a red and purple swimming cozie but it turned out the shiny red stuff was her SKIN! You know when people use the term "she looks like a lobster" when in fact they are just a bit too red? Well when I say lobster I MEAN lobster. People were stopping and pointing at her shiny illuminous red skin and I could hear mothers saying "THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DONT WEAR SUNSCREAN" as I whipped out my factor 60! I am surprised that woman is still alive. I was mortified to see that she was sunbathing whilst smoking (and as Alice rightly put it) she really needed to go into her house and shut the door! I did feel sorry for her when I realised she had a moustache and her chin was by her ear, but she really had brought it upon herself...

Rant over! That night somehow I ended up in the sea at 5am?! I cant tell you how the night transpired but all I can say was that it was certainly aided by my not so good friend vodka and the over zealous alcohol pouring midget bar tender at our hostel. Oops. As my always-right-mother would say "Your burning the candle at both ends darling". I dont know HOW many times I have heard this and dont learn - but BOOM I wake up that morning with a sore throat. Of course. And all I could hear was a dissapointed¨voice in my head. Sorry mum!

So as you can imagine there was a lot of moping around and feeling sorry for ourselves and were infact quite relieved to back to our appartment in BA where no one would judge us for the lack of Christmassy spirit. Just enough time to get better for NYE! (I can see mum cringing).

Please note, the last few weaks have involved a bit too much drinking I do appreciate that, but please remember you were all doing it to!!!

3 comments:

  1. I've just caught up with you again and am looking at my inadequate old atlas to back track to the beginning of your journey. As a result I intend to buy another better, bigger, up to date one. It was lovely seeing you on Christmas Day thanks to the wonders of skype but it did seem to underline how far away you are...anyway take good care of yourselves and lots of love and good wishes for the New Year from Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beckaaaaaaaaaaah, what you been up to now? Hope you feeling a bit better - I still look like Quasimodo and even your Dad told me to go to the Doctor. My comment was do I look that odd then and he replied YES! Now that's something coming from your Dad coz he never really looks at yer!!! So I am hoping that my head comes back up from my shoulder LOL!!
    Our kid, you've been Skyping and I didn't know.
    Well what about that huge lump of fatty red skin - makes you realise just how you have to look after yourself in all ways. Take heed, but I don't think I need to say that. Swimming at 5 am when it is still night to your body is not a good idea, but you know that already, so be sensible after all you are almost .. years old!! Get up early and go for that swim - wise move.
    How's the back pack holding up, and the clothing!!!
    It's BA this week where will you be next? Can't wait to find out.
    Love ya kid xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to catch up with your latest adventures but sorry to hear that Flo is unwell and hope that she recovers quickly. Sorry also to hear about your unfortunate experience with the vodka bottle, not so much because of the hang-over, but more because remaining vigilant is essential in Latino countries, which is difficult if you are under the influence. Do be careful.

    We were talking with friends of ours over Christmas who said of all the countries and cities they have visited in South America, and they have done most of them, Argentina and particularly BA in their opinion are the finest. They also praised Patagonis very highly, along with the Argentinian National Parks. I hope that you are able to get to see them.

    Take care and lots of love,

    Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete